Edit

West Bengal Encroachment Crackdown: Howrah, Sealdah Hawkers Face Eviction Drive

West Bengal Encroachment Crackdown: Howrah, Sealdah Hawkers Face Eviction Drive

Encroachment Crackdown Widens In Bengal

The West Bengal anti-encroachment drive 2026 has moved into major public spaces, with authorities targeting illegal structures, roadside stalls, and unauthorised constructions in Kolkata, Howrah, and Sealdah. The Suvendu Adhikari-led BJP government has said that public land, railway areas, and crowded civic zones must be cleared to improve safety and movement.

In Howrah’s Ward No. 44, officials began action against a multi-storey building after reports said permission was given only for a G+1 structure, but a G+5 building had allegedly been built.

Howrah And Sealdah See Major Evictions

The Kolkata hawker eviction drive also reached Howrah and Sealdah railway stations, where hundreds of stalls and vendors were removed. Officials said the Howrah station demolition drive was aimed at clearing illegal shops near the station premises. At Sealdah, the hawker removal drive helped ease movement across busy platforms and passenger areas.

Earlier, demolition activity in the Topsia-Tiljala belt followed a fire in an illegal leather factory that killed two people. However, the Kolkata High Court later issued an interim stay on further demolition in that area until June 22.

Vendors Seek Rehabilitation

The Bengal bulldozer action has sparked concern among hawkers, many of whom said they were not given proper notice before eviction. Several vendors have demanded rehabilitation or alternate vending spaces, arguing that their shops had been running for years. While minister Dilip Ghosh defended the action against encroachment, the drive has opened a larger debate over city planning, public safety, and the livelihood of small traders.

What is your response?

joyful Joyful 0%
cool Cool 0%
thrilled Thrilled 0%
upset Upset 0%
unhappy Unhappy 0%
AD
AD
AD
AD
AD
AD
AD